Modified on: Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 8:41 AM
What is Google Drive File Stream?
Google Drive File Stream is a new desktop application that allows you to quickly access all of your Google Drive files on demand, directly from your computer without losing precious drive space. With Google Drive File Stream, your files are stored on the cloud instead of your computer, and any changes you make are automatically synced with the cloud for quick, easy access anywhere you have an Internet connection.
Google Drive File Stream replaced the old Google Drive client, which is no longer supported, in 2018.
Bay Path Owned Device:
- If you had the old Google Drive client installed, it will be automatically updated for you. You will be prompted to re-authenticate using your Bay Path email address.
- At your convenience, you may also install the Google Drive File Stream client via Software Center on your computer. (Instructions for installing applications via Software Center)
- If installation via Software Center fails, it may already be installed on your system.
- Download Google Drive File Stream for Mac or Windows. You must be logged into your Google account to see this page.
- Run the installation package.
- Log into the portal with your Bay Path email address and password.
- Select Allow on the required permissions prompt.
What are the new features for Google Drive File Stream?
With Drive File Stream, you can:
- Quickly see all your Google Drive files in Finder/Explorer (including Team Drives).
- Browse and organize Google Drive files without downloading all of them to your computer.
- Choose which files or folders you'd like to make available offline.
- Open files in common apps like Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop.
How much storage do I have for my Drive files?
Bay Path University Google Accounts have unlimited storage.
Making Files Available Offline
By default, Google Drive File Stream does not store a copy of your files on your local computer. This means that if you do not have an Internet connection, you will not be able to access these files. In order make your files accessible offline, right-click on a file or folder and select Available Offline under the Drive File Stream menu. Please note that doing so will store a copy on your computer, using up more of your hard drive space.
Where can I get more information?
To get started with Drive, visit the Drive Help Center. Please note that to see this page and install the new app, you must log into Google with your Bay Path Google Account username and password.